Livepeer Grants Program Allocates $190,000 in Q1 and Announces $250,000 in Q2 2022 Funding! | by Stephen Gee | Livepeer Blog | April 2022
Livepeer was founded to build a fully decentralized video stack, and that goal cannot be achieved without a community of contributors. That’s why the Livepeer Community Grants Program was created – to fund projects, ideas, and events that benefit the Livepeer ecosystem.
2022 is already well underway for the grants program and its contributors, with more exciting news to come! Continue reading to learn more.
Since launching the grant program in 2019, Livepeer Grants has committed over $410,000 in funding to community members creating value for the Livepeer ecosystem. In the first two years, funding was provided for projects such as the integration of streaming events into world of atlantistutorials to configure a orchestrator node, livepeer.org language translations and several awards at hackathons.
From basic security and functionality to community service and education, the grant program has helped enrich the Livepeer ecosystem since its inception. And in 2022, we’re ramping up the grant program.
In fact, we already have. Of the $410,000 allocated to date, $190,000, or 46% of the total, was awarded to the only Q1 2022! (To see the grant tracking for the full list.)
What are some of these projects that were funded in the first quarter? Glad you asked!
- ColorPixels is a decentralized live streaming platform with NFT functionality. Its goal is to create new revenue streams for streamers and artists by supporting the minting of NFT clips at their events. This way, every time the NFT is sold, the money is sent back to the creator.
- beats is a decentralized social media and NFT marketplace. It allows creators to create NFTs of their videos, photos, and even create NFTs during live streams with a single click.
- Dragverse is a dApp where you as a drag NFT (queen, king, monster, etc.) can broadcast live using Livepeer and earn tips from your followers. The team is working to add gameplay features to the experience, such as joining events, metaverse gigs, and competitions; dress, stuff and paint your drag avatar; buy or win new wigs or makeup; and have a place to share or create NFTs, give or get advice, and more. Listen to Twitter spaces with Dragverse here.
- To impregnate, to permeate is a decentralized web3 native live streaming platform that is fully community owned and operated. Everything from DNS (ENS & eth.limo) to streaming (Livepeer) to data for streaming (stored on-chain) is completely decentralized. Imbue is a way for creators to connect with their audience and monetize their interactions without large centralized operators.
It’s not just the developers either. Long-time community member and orchestrator Ben (Authority_Null) recently received a grant to create an elegant three minute commercial who made his debut at NFT THE 2022 this week. (Read Ben’s Community Spotlight for more.)
After a record start to the year, it makes sense to double community engagement.
The Livepeer core team is excited to announce a new round of grants for Q2 2022, with up to $250,000 in funding available! We look forward to building on the success of Q1 and helping the community make more contributions to the Livepeer ecosystem.
This quarter, we are looking for proposals for demand-side platforms and applications this present the benefits of web3 video and generate traffic to the Livepeer network. We’d love to see more live streams, video apps, and creator platforms that leverage the Livepeer network!
For more information on the Livepeer Community Grants Program, including application requirements and guidelines, visit our GitHub. Not familiar with the process? Here’s how to apply:
- submit a publish. Product-based proposals must include specifications in the submission.
- Include mockups, technical milestones, and time estimates. If in doubt, break down the milestones further.
- The application will be reviewed by the Livepeer Grants Committee, which meets every two weeks to discuss all current and proposed grants.
- Feedback will take place throughout the grants process.
Livepeer grant issues milestone grants, where the committed total is dispersed at the end of the defined milestones. This helps link progress to funding, especially for large grants. Milestones will be agreed prior to proposal acceptance and should:
- Be clearly defined deliverables.
- Include KPIs for each deliverable.
- Include an estimate of completion time.
Whether you are a developer, creator, researcher, marketer, community leader, or anyone looking to leverage their skills and interests to improve the Livepeer ecosystem, a grant may be for you. wait!