Online universal credit calculators calculate how much DWP assistance you could get each month – in minutes

The most recent figures from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) show that more than six million people across the UK are clamoring for Universal Credit, a benefit intended to help unemployed or low-income people with living expenses. daily subsistence.

As financial uncertainty becomes a bigger reality for many households with the weekly £ 20 increase in universal credit ending in October and the holiday scheme ending September 30, 2021, it is essential that people be aware additional financial support that they may be eligible for – in addition to current benefits, and even if they are working full time.

Fortunately, eligibility for universal credit is straightforward, and it doesn’t take that long to apply online. There are even free, independent, anonymous calculators that can tell you if you’ll qualify and how much you might get – in minutes.

Here’s everything you need to know about universal credit, including eligibility and how to make a claim.

There are free online calculators that can quickly calculate your benefit entitlement

How to apply for universal credit

The UK government says a person can get universal credit if:

  • You are low income or unemployed

  • You are 18 or over (there are some exceptions if you are 16 to 17)

  • You have not reached retirement age (or your partner is)

  • You and your partner have £ 16,000 or less in savings between you

  • You live in the UK

If you live with your partner, their income and savings will be taken into account, even if they are not eligible for Universal Credit.

Please note that you will not be able to claim any means tested benefits if your capital and savings exceed the limit of £ 16,000.

These include:

However, your savings and capital (or your partner’s savings, capital and income) are not taken into account for claiming the “new style” jobseeker’s allowance (JSA) and this particular benefit. can be obtained at the same time as universal credit – or on its own.

The “New Style” JSA is a membership benefit. This means that you may be able to get it if you have paid enough National Insurance (NI) contributions in the two full tax years preceding the year for which you are applying.

It is paid every two weeks and if you qualify you can get the JSA “New Style” for up to 182 days.

If you are eligible for both “New Style” JSA and Universal Credit, any “New Style” JSA you receive will count as income for Universal Credit.

To apply for Universal Credit visit the website here and for more information on applying for Jobseeker’s Allowance read more here.

How much will you be paid?

The DWP has updated the changes to the payment rates for Universal Credit to include the extended increase of £ 20 per week.

This will be included in the payment of services until the end of September 2021.

Universal Credit from April to September (monthly rates displayed)

Standard allowance



  • Joint applicants under 25: £ 490.60

  • Joint applicants, one or both 25 years or older: £ 596.58

Child elements

  • First child (born before April 6, 2017): £ 282.50

  • First child (born on or after 6 April 2017) or second child and subsequent child (where an exception or transitional provision applies): £ 237.08

Child additions disabled

  • Lower rate supplement: £ 128.89
  • Higher rate supplement: £ 402.41

Limited working capacity

  • Limited capacity for the amount of labor: £ 128.89
  • Limited capacity for work and amount of work related activities: £ 343.63


Universal Credit from October to March 2022 (monthly rates displayed)

Standard allowance



  • Joint applicants under 25: £ 403.93

  • Joint applicants, one or both 25 years or older: £ 509.91

What if you had a job?

There is no limit to the number of hours you can work while applying for universal credit, but only low-income people are eligible, and this threshold depends on individual circumstances.

The amount an active person receives depends on what they earn.

It decreases as someone earns more – for every £ 1 an applicant earns in their job, their payout will be reduced by 63 pence with the aim being for their payouts to gradually decrease until they are financially independent.

That is, unless the person is eligible for a work allowance, which includes those who have responsibility for a child and those whose ability to work is affected by a disability or health problem .

In these circumstances, they will be able to earn up to a certain amount without affecting their benefits.

The fixed amount is £ 292 per month for people who already have extra help to cover accommodation costs, and £ 512 per month for people who do not.

For anything they earn above that amount, the £ 1 to 63 pence rule will apply.

Housing costs

You may be able to get money to help pay your housing costs. The amount you get depends on your age and your circumstances, but the payment can cover rent and some service charges.

If you are a homeowner, you may be able to get a loan to help pay the interest on your mortgage or other loans you have taken out for your home.

There are a number of ways to keep up to date with the latest news on Daily Record savings and benefits.

You can join the conversation on our Money Saving Scotland Facebook group for money saving tips, benefit news, consumer help and advice, and the latest shopping deals.

Sign up for our Record Money newsletter to get our best stories delivered straight to your inbox every Tuesday and Friday. You can register either by entering your email address in the registration box above on this page, or by clicking here.

You can also follow our Twitter account @Recordmoney_ for regular updates here.

What documents do you need to apply for universal credit

You will need:

  • Contact details for your bank, building society or credit union

  • An e-mail address

  • Information about your accommodation, for example the amount of rent you pay

  • Details of your income, for example payslips

  • Details of savings and investments, such as stocks or property that you rent

  • Details of the amount you pay for child care if you are applying for child care expense assistance

Failure to provide the correct information when you apply can affect when you get paid or how much you receive.

Verifying Your Identity Online

You will need an ID for this, for example your:

  • Driver’s license

  • Passport

  • Debit or credit card

To apply for universal credit, visit the website here

Benefit calculators

You can also use an independent benefit calculator to find out:

These calculators are free, anonymous, and can indicate any benefits you are missing out on.

Financial aid available in Scotland

Where to find help

Scotland Direct Tips

This new online tool is the first to fully integrate vested benefits, including the new Scottish Child Payment.

It provides a free and impartial assessment of entitlement to a range of benefits such as universal credit, crisis grants and support payments.


Information on income related benefits, tax credits, local tax reduction, care allowance, universal credit and how your benefits will be affected if you start working or change your working hours

Policy in practice

Information on income-related benefits, tax credits, contribution-based benefits, counseling tax reduction, care allowance, universal credit, how they are calculated and how your benefits will be affected if you start working or change your working hours

right to

Information on income-related benefits, tax credits, contribution-based benefits, local tax reduction, care allowance, universal credit and how your benefits will be affected if you start working

What you will need

You will need specific information about your:

  • Savings

  • Income, including that of your partner

  • Existing benefits and pensions (including anyone living with you)

  • Expenses (such as rent, mortgage, child care expenses)

  • Municipal tax invoice

For more information on Universal Credit, visit the GOV.UK website here.

Get the latest news on savings and benefits straight to your inbox. Sign up for our weekly Money newsletter here.

Comments are closed.